top of page

Cayetano: There’s a systematic attack against the Senate

  • Writer: Wednesday Chronicle
    Wednesday Chronicle
  • 1 day ago
  • 2 min read
ree

“May systematic na attack sa Senate.”


This was Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano’s warning on Thursday, October 23, as various controversies continue to be thrown against a number of senators amid investigations into the flood control scandal.


“Makikita n’yo ngayon in context ng flood control na talagang y’ung iba sa amin ay target talaga,” he told reporters in an interview.


“Kasi nga big news. ‘Philippine senator ganito, another senator ganito, congressman ganito ganyan.’ Dinidistract tayo eh. Napapainan tayo nang husto,” he added.


Asked who might be behind the attacks, Cayetano said it is “definitely the mastermind” but quickly added that he believes it is more than one person.


“I don’t think there’s one mastermind. I think it’s a group of people who came together, maybe stumbling into it. We have some people in our minds, but we’d rather the evidence speak for it,” he added.


Cayetano then recalled how a people’s initiative campaign early last year attempted to, in his words, “buwagin ang Senado.” He believes it was part of a larger scheme by the masterminds to clear the way for their corrupt plans.


“We all know na habang ginagawa itong People’s Initiative, binubuo pala itong scam na ito, hindi lang sa flood control – paisa-isa lumalabas,” he said.


Last year, a signature campaign was launched aiming to amend the 1987 Philippine Constitution. The campaign included a proposal to make the House of Representatives and the Senate vote together on constitutional amendments as one body.


This drew strong criticism from the Senate, warning that such joint voting would drown out the Senate’s voice given the House’s overwhelming numbers and weaken the system of checks and balances.


The Minority Leader appealed to Senate President Vicente Sotto III to protect the chamber from institutional attacks.


“Kung nangyari ito kay Risa Hontiveros o nangyari ito kay Ping Lacson, kahit nasa Minority ako, tatayuan ko ito. Bakit? May systematic na attack sa Senate,” he said.


“The Senate President is not only the father of the Majority – siya din ang tatay ng buong Senado. So kapag ang Senado na ang inaatake, kahit member ng Minority o kahit independent, pero foul, mali ang mabubugbog y’ung institution,” he continued.


He also urged the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee to stay focused on pinning down the masterminds behind the scandal.


“Eyes on the ball tayo… Dapat administration at opposition, nagkakaisa na ang mastermind ay makasuhan, makulong, ang pera mabalik, at mabago ang sistema,” he said.###

 
 
 

Comments


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Thanks for submitting!

  • White Facebook Icon

© 2023 by The Wednesday Chronicles and secured by Wix

bottom of page